Vacancy Announcement - Training Assistant - Software Solutions Developer
Title: Training Assistant - Software Solutions Developer
Unit/Department: Communication and IT Support Unit (CITSU), Division for Operations
Date of issuance: 07 January 2019
Deadline for applications: 06 February 2019
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Depending on the professional background and experience, the remuneration will be determined within our official fee range for this category of personnel. The benefit package includes six weeks of annual leave and a limited health insurance plan. It does not include a pension contribution. Please note that this vacancy is located in Geneva and is a locally recruited position with no international benefits. This is not a regular post but a type of contract specific to UNITAR.
The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) pursues a strong partnership strategy to deliver on its mandate to strengthen the capacities of beneficiaries through training and related activities, with more than two-thirds of training beneficiary outputs delivered in partnership.
The Communication and Information Technology Support Unit (CITSU) provides assistance and technical solutions for its clients, namely staff, collaborators and beneficiaries of UNITAR. In order to better serve the software and web applications needs of its clients, CITSU provides in-house services in the development and maintenance of such applications.
Under the supervision of the IT Specialist, the incumbent will be accountable for providing services in the design, development and maintenance of different software applications and web-based platforms. The incumbent will also be accountable for providing support to all categories of IT issues. The incumbent will:
- Design and develop software applications and web-based platforms by
- Analyzing business needs for software solutions;
- Producing mockups and user interfaces to give clients an idea of the outcomes of a software project;
- Developing the appropriate software solution given the size and scope of the project;
- Working in a collaborative manner to incorporate the feedback.
- Maintain the software applications and web-based platforms developed by
- Documenting software requirements and scopes of software development projects;
- Documenting all the components of applications developed (including data model, workflows, database schemas, code comments);
- Refactoring and improving code written;
- Debugging of code;
- Backing up of code and data.
- Support the IT Specialist in providing a reliable IT infrastructure by
- Providing support in workstation installation and maintenance;
- Responding to virus detections and performing clean-ups;
- Setting up workstations into the local network;
- Providing desktop application support to all UNITAR end-users;
- Keeping track of IT equipment on loan.
- Other tasks assigned by the IT Specialist
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- Managers and focal points of the various units with whom projects are undertaken in order to discuss and implement the most appropriate solutions for a given set of IT requirements.
- Delivery of timely, high-quality, effective and user-friendly software application and web-based platform solutions;
- A continued stable server, application and network infrastructure;
- Client-orientation in communication with clients;
- Effective project management support provided against the Unit's agreed results and budgets.
The incumbent will report to the IT Specialist, Communication and IT Support Unit.
Skills and competencies
Professionalism - Excellent knowledge in the field of software development, particularly of web-related technologies; working knowledge of mobile/hybrid development; very good knowledge of general IT concepts and techniques. Demonstrated knowledge or and experience in the following:
- Full-stack web development:
- Server-side development- Proficiency in PHP and its various frameworks/packages (e.g. Laravel, Processwire, Drupal)
- Ability to query databases and model data
- Ability to produce mockups and design user interfaces
- Understanding of object-oriented and functional programming paradigms
- Administration of Linux servers
- Experience in Microsoft Office 365 platform and Sharepoint web services/APIs
- Familiarity with C# language
- Knowledge in Powershell
- Day-to-day support in the areas of:
- Workstation support
- Network support
- End-user support
Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning & organizing - Sound planning and organizational skills and ability to prioritize own work, delivering results and quality work, including when working under pressure.
Commitment to continuous learning - Willingness to keep abreast of new developments in the field of software development.
Communications - Excellent communication skills (spoken, written and presentation), including the ability to draft/edit a variety of written documents, such as proposals for software solutions to develop, and documentation of components and packages used in projects.
Technology awareness - Fully proficient in computer skills, with ability to use a variety of software and applications.
Teamwork - Strong interpersonal skills; ability to deal effectively with multiple constituencies and to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Qualifications and experience
Education: Master's degree in computer science or a related field, or a relevant combination of qualifications and relevant work experience might be accepted in lieu of Master's degree.
Experience: Minimum 2-3 years' experience in the area of software/web applications development and IT support, preferably in an international organization. The candidate must have the demonstrated knowledge or and experience in the technology and platforms listed under "Skills and Competencies - Professionalism" above.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French or another official UN language would be an advantage.
UNITAR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Qualified women, individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups, and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality. English and French are the two working languages of UNITAR. Priority will be given to the applicants from the under-represented regions at UNITAR. There will be a probation period of 3 months.
UNITAR staff members are subject to the authority of the UNITAR Executive Director and their appointments are limited to service with the Institute.
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation or sexual abuse, or crimes other than minor traffic offences, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. UNITAR is a non-smoking environment.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable Staff Regulations and Rules and UNITAR administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications to be considered for the
current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
UNITAR DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). UNITAR DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS.
How to apply
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
A letter of motivation as well as the PII form/ Curriculum Vitae are to be sent at: email@example.com
UN staff members must submit copies of their latest Performance Appraisal System (PAS) report at the time of application.