Road traffic injuries claim 1.35 million lives each year with a disproportionate impact on health and development. They are the ninth leading cause of death across all age groups globally and the leading cause among young people aged between 15 and 29 years, costing governments approximately 3% of GDP and 5% in low- and middle-income countries (World Health Organization, WHO 2018).
The e-learning course aims to raise awareness and build capacity among the youth to be safer road user champions. It sheds light on the importance of road safety measures and provides core skill sets and knowledge on safer road behaviours. It also explores various different ways to help combat road traffic injuries and death. The course aims to achieve the following objectives:
- To raise awareness on the need for road safety measures.
- To Highlight the risk factors associated with road traffic crashes.
- To develop core skill sets and knowledge on safer road behaviours.
- To explore and analyze different ways to combat road traffic injuries and death.
The Course includes 3 modules:
- Module 1 - The Global Framework of Road Safety
- Module 2 - Youth and Road Safety: Background and Context
- Module 3 - Championing Safer Road Users: Young Leaders
The 3 modules of the course comprise short self-paced interactive lessons having the following learning components:
- User friendly and interactive e-lessons and videos
- Illustrative activities designed to enable the practical application of concepts and tools learned in the lessons
- Fun quizzes to measure learning.
Online as well as offline materials and resources such as the course lessons in printable version (pdf), to ensure flexibility of learning.
The course is designed for Youth aged 15 – 24.